How much time does it all take?
It depends. From our experience we recommend the following:
- Bowling only – about 3 hours (arrive 30 mins before your session, bowl for 2 hours, last drinks & boasting, then move on)
- Bowling & Catering (small groups) about 3.5-4 hours (same as above with an hour to eat, if dining in the clubhouse) small groups may also have their catering served outside
- Bowling & Catering (large groups) about 4.5 hours (same as above with an hour to eat plus extra time to organise everyone)
Is there parking available on site?
On-site parking is limited, so we suggest using public transport to get to & from the Club. Close public transport options include:
- Windsor Train Station on the Sandringham line
- Trams No: 5, 6, 64 & 78
- Taxis are easily hailed on Chapel St, only a short distance from the Club
Can I bring my own food to BBQ?
No, our licence and food and safety policies preclude self catering; with the exception of a Birthday cake. We can provide BBQ and other catering packs to suit a variety of needs.
We have never bowled before do we get instruction?
Yes, a bowls host gets you started and is around to help if needed.
What do I need to bring?
We supply all you need for bowling, you just need to bring your mates or work colleagues.
Do I have to bowl barefoot?
Mostly yes. Our bowling greens are living things and most shoes you wear elsewhere can damage the green. If you can’t bear the thought of going barefoot, you can wear socks.
What if it rains?
You may get wet, but you may still be able to bowl. If you can’t bowl and come to the club you will be charged $5.00 per person. Any difference between that and your deposit can be transferred to a bar tab, or refunded. We have various activities to keep you occupied if required including darts, pool and table tennis.
What happens if I need to cancel?
If you cancel more than 14 days prior to your event, your deposit can be refunded or transferred to another date. If you cancel within 14 days your deposit will not be refunded, but can be transferred to another date.
Deposits for cancelled Events in December will not be refunded.
How many people can I fit on a rink?
Ideally, it is an even number of people up to 8, so you can have 2 teams of 4. To accommodate large groups our rinks can hold up to 10 people but no more.
Can the kids come along?
Children are always welcome at the Melbourne Bowling Club, but please be aware that the greens are not playgrounds or parks, and children must be supervised at all times. If they want to get in on the fun we also have some sets of smaller bowls for smaller hands.
Costs & Payments
- To secure your event a deposit is required, until the deposit is received the date/time may go to other interested parties.
- For events with catering, final numbers and payment must be made no later than 3 days before your event.
- Your deposit in non-refundable, but is transferable if you cancel less than 14 days prior to your event
- All outstanding amounts are to be paid on the day, at the conclusion of your event
Booking Terms and Conditions
- All guests/visitors to the club are required to sign in, in order to meet our liquor license. You can provide a list of guests or we will provide sign-in sheets.
- All guests/visitors will be issued with wristbands to show they have signed in.
- Any damage incurred is the financial responsibility of the host.
- Melbourne Bowling Club has a zero tolerance policy for drug use. If anyone is suspected of drug use on the property they will be asked to leave. No refund will be given in this case.
- Management reserves the right to end any function if proper behaviour is not observed, including the removal of any guests. The bar may also shut earlier than advised if guests exhibit anti-social behaviour.
- For events with food provided by our in-house caterer, full payment & final numbers plus any special dietary needs are required 5 days prior to your event.
- A chef surcharge of $100 is added to smaller groups, you do not get a private chef for your event.
- The Melbourne Bowling Club practices & enforces the Responsible Service of Alcohol. As part of this we do not sell “shots” or “doubles”.
- Car parking at the Club is very limited and at times restricted to members only on Thursday nights and Saturdays.
- The Club provides all the equipment required to bowl, as well as instruction at the start and assistance as required during your 2 hour bowling session.
- Bowls in best played in teams of 4. We suggest you organise your groups this way to maximise your time and enjoyment while bowling.
- If required, the Club can assist in organising round robin or knock competitions. Please advise prior to your event.
- If your event does not include bowling (room hire only) or includes use of a room, any decoration or music is to be arranged by the host. Blutac only is to be used on the walls and strictly no glitter or confetti.
- The Club has basic audio visual equipment. Please arrange a site visit prior to your event to ensure equipment is compatible with your requirements.
- Payment of any outstanding monies is due at the conclusion of your event. We accept cash or credit card (AMEX, Master card & Visa).